Apply to be a Golden Bear Orientation Leader!
What you get:
- Priority Phase 1 course enrollment spring semester 2018
- Real-world leadership experience and enhanced communication skills
- Exclusive career development opportunities
- Free swag!
Introducing Golden Bear Orientation
Beginning in fall 2017, New Student Services will host a longer, more comprehensive Golden Bear Orientation for all incoming undergraduate students shortly before the start of classes, as opposed to 14 shorter CalSO sessions during the summer for smaller subgroups of students. The new week-long orientation model is designed for all 8,500+ new undergraduate students and includes academic advising and College-specific programming, large-scale community-building events, mandated critical trainings, and introductions to our campus community.
The objective is to give our students the most meaningful and inclusive Golden Bear Experience, which begins when they decide to attend UC Berkeley and lasts through their first few weeks on campus. It includes academic advising, enrollment, online resources, orientation, and continued welcome programs. In fact, one of the key reasons for this historic change in our orientation model is to provide all incoming students, including the majority who live outside of the Bay Area, with the same opportunity to participate, and to participate together. This new program is vital to the entire campus as orientation lays the foundation for a student’s entire career at UC Berkeley, and how well a student adjusts academically, mentally, and emotionally to campus life is crucial to the process. Orientation provides a first, and often lasting, impression of UC Berkeley to new students and their families. We want students to feel welcomed and supported, by the entire campus community.
The desired outcomes are that new students will:
- have the academic connections and support necessary for first-year success and will feel pride in their college.
- feel a greater sense of identity and belonging to UC Berkeley, leading to pride, spirit, involvement, and engagement.
- feel a greater connection to each other, creating a cohort atmosphere where they can learn from and lean on each other
- have the tools to effectively navigate the campus and knowledge of resources available
The goals of the Golden Bear Experience are to:
- welcome new students into UC Berkeley’s scholarly community and lay the foundation for fostering their intellectual identity.
- create opportunities for participants to gain an understanding of academic requirements.
- create opportunities for participants to connect with University and College resources, services and support structures.
- create opportunities for participants to engage with campus traditions and the range of UC Berkeley’s unique cultural communities.
- create opportunities for participants to engage with their peers and the broader campus community.
- set the path for a lifelong relationship with the campus
Seeking Orientation Leaders
New Student Services is seeking approximately 1,000 volunteer Orientation Leaders to serve as guides and mentors to our incoming students. This is an amazing opportunity for a current undergraduate student to bolster their leadership and communication skills, get involved on campus, give back to the University, and have a great time!
Learn more about the Orientation Leader position. The applications close on February 24 at 4 p.m. You can also nominate a student to be an Orientation Leader by completing this form by February 10.
Golden Bear Advising: May-July
Golden Bear Prep: July
Move-In: Sunday, August 13-Monday, August 14
Golden Bear Orientation: Tuesday, August 15-Tuesday, August 22
Getting Your Bearings: Wednesday, August 23- Saturday, September 9
New Student Services Stakeholders Meeting:
Friday, January 13 from 10 a.m. to noon in VLSB 2050
Here is the slide deck from the Stakeholders Meeting.